Wedding Challenge #1

The first of the Anzell Wedding Trifecta, as we called it, was my niece, Sarah’s, wedding. It was early June, and she envisioned a vintage, Gatsby-esque theme for the celebration. I had been dreaming of a gold lace dress for quite some time, and thought it would fit her theme well.

My initial sketch

My vision was long sleeved,slim, gold lace that ended mid-thigh with a gold and pink gathered tulle flare to the knee. Finished with a gold lace floor length “train” in the back. Here’s how it turned out.

[Insert record scratch sound effect] Wait….that’s not even gold….Yes, this design took a bit of a turn. A few things affected the design change. One, in my typical style, I procrastinated in getting started, and only had about a week or two to put this dress together. Two, I’ve never sewed with lace, so due to the short timeline, I didn’t want to risk a disastrous error, and have to show up in my underwear! Finally, I realized that the slim silhouette might not be favorable with the ostomy bag I had to sport for 6 month (yeah, colon cancer’s a blast).

I remembered Delpozo’s amazing Spring 2016 collection, and used this as my inspiration.

The overskirt afforded some camouflage, and just looks innovative and cool. I’m a sucker for asymmetry. As far as the color, believe it or not, I couldn’t find gold satin. I was disappointed because I had this vision of gold and pink. But with the clock against me, I had to make a quick decision. I spotted the silver and lavender satin hanging next to each other in the fabric store, and a new color scheme came together.

The main dress pattern was pretty simple, a straight, sleeveless sheath (almost too simple, as I forgot to add a slit in the back of the skirt!). The overskirt was the challenge. It’s not something that can be flat patterned, because there’s no specific measurements to plot out. You have to drape it. Without even knowing what I was doing, I took some muslin and draped the overskirt on my dress form. Marking the all the key points, I transferred the draped piece to a paper pattern, and then was able cut the pattern out of fabric. I was seriously amazed that it ended up looking like the vision in my head! I thought to myself, “Wow, I actually might know what I’m doing”!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Next week, wedding dress #2. Something a little daring that caused some gasps!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *